Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Museum day

    July 19, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    We decided that there was a bit more to see in Alice so booked another night.

    First up was getting our 2nd covid vaccination. Being a small town there weren't queues so it was all done in 40 minutes for us.
    Then we went to the Royal Flying Doctors Service museum to learn all about the history. Was well worth the visit to understand its importance to the outback communities for over 100 years. The virtual goggle experiences were amazing especially as one was a flight over Kings Canyon where we are heading tomorrow. We had lunch in the associated cafe which would rival any in Melbourne with a focus on native flavours.

    Then we visited the Women's Museum of Australia. This is on the site of the old Alice Springs prison which closed in 1996. The prison is small and all concrete and had both men and women - segregated of course . The men's wing was very cold and depressing and the women's wing seemed a lot nicer although definitely not a place you would want to be. There was also some cultural segregation for the indigenous inmates but that was relaxed over the years.

    The women's museum was really interesting with the museum split into two themes. The first was focused on some of the early women European settlers who became the first teachers and nurses in the area. You had to admire how they coped in such a harsh environment and some took over 6 months just to travel to their new homes. The second half featured all the women who have been the first to achieve something within their fields of expertise, so the first to become a judge, veterinarian, civil engineer, explorer etc. There were fascinating stories and it was really uplifting.

    Stock up shop at Coles and top up of the fuel tank as we have heard the prices are pretty outrageous down around the rock. Tomorrow is a big day travelling to Kings Canyon to see more spectacular scenery.
    Read more