Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Windjana

    August 22, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Decided to try and beat the midday heat and get a walk in so we went to Windjana National Park. It is "just down the road". 120km of sealed Gibb River road then 30km of dirt road. By the time we arrived it was 30 degrees but the trail we chose was mostly shaded and meandered through the limestone gorge. The water was really inviting but the croc warning signs dampened the urge. Yes they are just "freshies" but they still have teeth.

    The track follows the Lenard River through the gorge. Not much flow at this time of year but there sure is evidence of how high the water would be in the wet season. We had real issues with large flies landing on us and biting and the insect repellent was almost useless to these determined insects. Quite painful bites so we really couldn't stay still for long.

    At the gorge there is also a camp which has water and toilets. It was quiet but a lovely place to stay if you can handle the dust and rough road. When we removed our shoes and socks our feet were filthy from the dust. It is so fine that it gets everywhere, including the back of the ute of course.
    Back to Derby in 35 degrees so into the caravan aircon for a break from the heat, making some calls to catch up with friends and family and then a pub meal for dinner to contribute to the local economy.
    Read more