Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    Eighty Mile Beach

    August 29, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Departed Broome around 9:30am and had a very uneventful drive down to our destination. The road was quiet, smooth and mostly straight. We had a couple of stops in picnic areas for lunch and then fuelled up at the Sandfire Roadhouse. Each roadhouse has a distinctive feel. This one was covered with old road signs and registration plates.

    Eighty Mile beach camp is part of Wallace Down Station and required a 10km dirt road to get to the site. We were rewarded with an amazing beach view when we dropped over the hill into the camp. It was much bigger than we expected with over 200 sites as well as cabins. It is immaculately maintained and lots of lovely shade at most sites.

    The camp is right on the beach but unfortunately you can’t swim there due to sharks. It is very popular with fishermen and there appear to be excellent catches judging by the fish in the cleaning area tonight. If fact when we went on to the beach for a walk someone had just pulled in a small shark using a surf cast. We also spotted a few jellyfish so think we will stick to paddling in the shallows.

    Of course there was another spectacular sunset as the sun dropped into the ocean. We are still not sick of watching yet though. Very quiet camp as I type this at just after 7pm the only noise is a child complaining about having to have a shower. Have booked for 2 nights so looking forward to exploring more in the morning.
    Read more