Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Tom Price Mine

    September 6, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    This mornings trip was a tour of the Tom Price mine. We arrived at the info centre and the bus of 55 seats was full. We were all given hard hats and safety glasses that were to be worn when we left the bus. The safety rules on the Rio Tinto mine site was evident as the driver requested permission to enter and leave. These calls were back to the control room based in Perth.

    We viewed all the areas from the mining area through to the crushers and conveyors that load the massive trains. Very efficient and extremely dusty everywhere. There were massive loaders worth $4.5million with the tyres that were as high as our bus. They carry 240 tons of ore. Each train carries 28000 tons of ore and heads immediately to Dampier or Cape Lambert. We had an opportunity to leave the bus at a lookout point, there was plenty of wind today so we got a good red dusting. The bus driver was incredibly knowledgeable.

    After lunch we headed to Hamersley Gorge at the west side of the Karijini National Park. We walked down a very steep set of steps to two lovely pools. The rock formations are so fascinating in this area. The earth movement has created waves and rocks that thrust up side on. From the pools you clamber over very large rocks to find the better pools at the top of the falls. Regan went swimming but I decided to sit this one out.

    It took us about an hour to drive back to the caravan park on mostly dirt road.. Tomorrow we knock off the middle area of the park so more gorges and rock hopping I suspect.
    Read more