Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Day 2 Exmouth

    September 10, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    A quiet day for us. The temperature was lower than what we have been experiencing but the sun seemed really fierce and bright.We went in search of a bike trail and ended up driving to Vlamingh Head lighthouse and lookout. This gives a full view of the surfing and the coastal reefs that we will head to tomorrow. This was a defensive area during WW2 with a radar installed as early warning.

    Nearby is a 1000 acre site with 13 massive radio towers that were built during the cold war to provide very low frequency communications to the American nuclear submarines. The towers are very deceptive as they are up to 389 metres high. The area is still fenced and gated so I presume it's still active. Because of this site Exmouth town was born in 1967 to house the workers. This is yet another recently built township that we have visited on our travels. They are all very similar in their practical design and similar house builds.

    On the way back to the caravan Julie saw a bike trail sign. This track runs through scrub with no shade or any excitement. Due to the heat and the signs warning about dingoes we decided a pool swim would be more for us. So a relaxing couple of hours poolside reading and cooling off in the water. Decided against a restaurant meal out so a drink and meal in the caravan before we drive a short distance to the Ningaloo reef area tomorrow.
    Read more