Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Beautiful Coral Bay

    September 16, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    This morning was pretty low key, a walk and house keeping tasks. Regan emptied the spare diesel container into the ute as it is unlikely we are going to be far from a service station for the rest of the trip. After 15000km it feels like we are a bit on the home stretch, a little crazy when we still have at least a month left. There was a moments excitement when it started raining (first time since we left Victoria) but it fizzled out after a minute.

    We had the glass bottom boat trip booked for midday. The boat pulled right up to the beach and there were 30 of us on the boat with at least 10 of them under 5.. The amazing thing is at Ningaloo you start to see the coral about 2 mins after the boat leaves the beach. The reef is officially the third largest reef system in the world but really edges out the Great Barrier Reef as it is one continuous reef - not like the group of reefs the makes up the Great Barrier Reef.

    As we mentioned the coral was incredible and you really got to see the colours. It was quite a low tide so you were right on top of the reef. We went along the shore edge and there weren’t too many fish until we stopped the boat and offered up so fish food. Then there were so many amazing ones with the parrot fish being the most prominent. We learnt the parrot fish clean the coral and produce sand as the end product!
    We were also lucky to see a turtle which is very unusual that close to shore.

    After the boat trip we went looking for the baby sharks but again no luck. Although it did let us off the hook from singing the baby shark song on video as requested by some people (Phew).The afternoon ended with our last swim in the turquoise water and soaking up the sun on the warm sand. This place is perfect if you are after a laid-back holiday with easy snorkeling, but we are ready to move on to a different view.
    Read more