Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 84

    Carnarvon Exploration

    September 18, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Carnarvon has a growers market each Saturday morning through the dry season. We decided to check it out and hopefully get breakfast as well. After a delicious bacon and egg brioche and good coffee we picked up some local vegetables, strawberries and hand made relishes. We then did a large supermarket stock up. We had purposely run down our supplies until we found a larger supermarket.

    After finding places for all our food we drove the Fruit Loop which is through the horticultural area along the Gascoyne River. There were roadside stalls and a place called Bumbaks which makes products from all the produce that is not accepted by the supermarkets. Table grapes, bananas, mangoes and tomatoes seem to dominate but there was a full range of vegetables. I was surprised to see asparagus as I would not have thought it would be a suitable climate for it to grow.

    We drove down to the historical area which is out at the old wharf on the sea side of the peninsula. There were a collection of old buildings from the turn of the century when ships were the main transportation method. They have created a museum there and are fundraising to strengthen the original jetty. It was extremely windy so we didn’t stay too long.

    Back to the camp for a few jobs and some time out of the wind. A lot warmer away from the sea. Ready to move on tomorrow.
    Read more