Satellite
  • Day 122

    Airlie Beach to Brisbane Part II

    August 19, 2015 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Awake but hardly refreshed, the notion that over half our journey was complete somewhat buoyed our spirits. Bird shit and bug splatter decorated the windscreen as the bus relentlessly ate away at the kilometres before us.

    Starring out of the windows of the moving bus, it was emotive to pass through towns we had previously stayed in on our journey north. Although it had only been weeks since last being there, it felt much longer due to enormity of what had done in the intervening time.

    We grateful absorbed the sunshine and fresh air of Brisbane when we eventually arrived with the grime of the journey clinging to our skin. As with our equally long journey to Cairns, relief could not fully materialise until we had showered, eaten and were able to lay on the soft clean linen of our bed.

    With the smell of soap on our skin and our stomachs content on sushi, we reflected on how surreal it was that in one week we would leave Australia and fly to Thailand for the next stage of our big adventure.

    Yet before then there would be one further long bus journey to Sydney...
    Read more