Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 22 - Triacastela to Sarria

    October 21, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 43 °F

    Got an early start and we were out the door before sunrise. We knew we had a big day and couldn’t wait to get going.

    We were ready for some rain, but fortunately we spared. We had a chance to see some of the amazing beauty in Galicia as we hiked up and out of Tricastela.

    We really enjoyed todays hike. It was remote, and something we had not seen before. Farms, very small villages and decay. The smell of manure was pungent, and at one point Joan was gagging and we couldn’t get away from the manure on the path and the smell in the air. Thankfully we had no black flies.

    We thought we would have cafes, restaurants or bars- there was only one co-op / hippie commune in one small crossroad offering coffee and fruit, and a small farm who had a bar, where we had cold sausages and cheese. (And Julie thought she ordered a chorizo empanada). We made due.

    We walked into Sarria after 21km / 13.4 miles. Sarria is significant as in order to receive a compostela (official certificate of completion), you must walk the final 100km /69 miles and collect two stamps per day in your credential. You present that in Santiago to receive your compostela.

    Everyone warned us that our last 5 days starting with Sarria would be very different than the previous 600km. Crowds, buses, tours. And we saw it the minute we walked into the town. Big groups of people. They haven’t walked a step yet. We told ourselves to be kind and loving to these newbies- but we were put off because we had enjoyed the solitude of the trail.

    We had a beautiful Casa/ apartment (Casa Marquesa), a wonderful Italian dinner, some uno and hit the sack.

    Home stretch baby!
    Read more