Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

    May 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Morning started slowly and we made it into Augusta for a coffee at a cute little cafe/secondhand shop called Ragged Robin before heading over to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse.

    The lighthouse shop, keeper’s cottage with interactive displays and multimedia and the lighthouse tour were all interesting and really well done.

    The common theme running through the displays was that is was a cold and windy place (one of the boards told the story of the lighthouse keeper’s cat following him to work and getting blown off the top 35 metres away and landing in the bushes to survive for another day) and our trip to the top of the lighthouse didn’t disappoint. It’s the tallest lighthouse on mainland Australia at 39 metres, located on the very bottom corner of WA and that coastal wind really picked up at that height.

    From our vantage point we could see where two oceans met (Southern & Indian) and down at sea level we had to get a pic with the sign.

    Later we had a nice late lunch at a really nice cafe/restaurant called The Colour Patch, later returning home for a quiet night in the van.
    Read more