Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    It paid off!

    August 25, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Logistics got in the way, but everything worked out in the end.

    Last night we were at Albergue La Estación. When we decided to stay for a second night, we asked, but they were booked out (good that we don't stay there again, that's where I got the bed bugs!).
    We were able to reserve at Seminario Menor for today (it was full yesterday).
    So, when we checked out from La Estación this morning, we carried our backpacks to the city and stored them at the pilgrims office, because we couldn't enter the other albergue until 1.30pm.
    We met Monika for lunch at 2pm, and then Klaus joined us. Time flew. I wanted to check into the other albergue before going to the Cathedral. We were advised to start queuing from 4pm. We had a leisurely morning but, suddenly, time was tight.
    We left the restaurant around 3.30. Picked up the backpacks, rushed to Seminario Menor, checked in, and rushed back to the Cathedral. We got there around 4.30 and there was a long queue.
    Jan was very disappointed, almost certain that we missed our chance, and we wouldn't be able to get in in time. One of his goals for the Camino was to be able to stay calm in adverse circumstances, and this was a hard test! The queue was advancing, but so was the clock. I thought we still had a chance, and would not give up. In the back of my mind, I also thought that the info we had could have been incorrect, and perhaps the botafumeiro wouldn't swing. That was one of my lessons: no expectations.
    Anyway, we finally got in towards the end of a mass in French. Then there were a few formal proceedings, some chanting, etc. and it was well after 6 when the bishop said something about incense... and the music started playing, and the show started!
    It was about 4 minutes, and the icing on the cake on a very successful Camino!
    Read more