Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 7 of AT in TN NOBO

    March 4 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Iron Mtn Gap (364.9) to Carver’s Gap (380.9)
    Daily Mileage: 16.0

    Dropped off at Iron Mon Gap at 7:15 by G-Man who works for Steve (Unicoi Shuttling). A bluebird day, crisp and clear and 45 degrees to start heading uphill from the Gap.

    Summited Iron Mtn and Little Rock Knob before crossing Hughes Gap to begin the climb up Roan.

    Rustled up 2 grouse halfway up Roan Mtn and did they make quite the scene. They were not happy!

    Quite the climb up Roan Mtn to end the day. The second highest peak (6,285) on the AT after Clingman’s Dome (6,643) in the Smokey Mtns just south of here.

    The last 1.5 hrs of the climb was all jagged rock slab formations and there was ice on the ground in the shady crevices of the trail.

    At the top of Roan Mtn sits the remnants of the legendary Cloudland hotel. Built in 1885 by a Union General, it was a 166 room structure used by the wealthy to get away from the oppressive summertime heat in the lowlands. By 1915, maintenance became too difficult due to the harsh weather and high elevation, so the hotel was abandoned. The only items that remain today are 2 stone fireplaces and the foundation of one wall (see pics).

    Hiked the 2.5 miles down the backside of Roan to the Carver’s Gap parking area.
    Read more