Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 8 of AT in TN NOBO

    March 5 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Carver's Gap (380.9) to US 19E Mountain Harbour (395.3).
    Daily Mileage: 14.4

    A totally different hiking experience today vs yesterday, even though it’s just across Carver’s Gap. Roan Mtn was like hiking through a pine forest in the Rocky Mtns out west, and today was trekking up and over steep, treeless balds that looked like something out of The Sound of Music.

    Without trees, and at 5,600 ft, you could see the largest mtns in NC on one side, and the largest in TN on the other. It made for an amazing 360 degree panorama (see pics & video).

    Didn’t see any other hikers yesterday or today. Almost surreal that I had that much beauty all to myself.

    After 9 miles of traversing Little Bald & Big Bald, I had a 5.5 mile descent into the village of Roan Mtn, TN where I was able to walk the 0.2 miles to Mountain Harbour Hostel and B&B. Got in at 5pm right before the forecasted bad rain storm hit.

    As we are ahead of the “hiker bubble” going north, most of these hostels and B&B’s are in the process of opening for the season. There was only 1 other hiker at Mountain Harbour last night and we enjoyed eating dinner together and conversation over a nice Tennessee IPA!
    Read more