Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Off inland...

    May 18, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    No post yesterday as it was our day off in Vigo. We did little but sleep, eat, drink, sleep, eat, drink, sleep, and it was lovely. We still managed to clock up a few kilometres considering we were resting, though. Breakfast was fried egg on toast - such a treat 😜, then Anne and I found churros so, when in Spain... We then found a beer with OurJan and Steve before returning to our fab apartment for an afternoon nap 😴🤭. It was great to eat in in the evening - we enjoyed some healthy food (not a chip in sight, oh except for the crisp sort🙄😆).
    So, after our day off we managed to find our energy again and made good progress in the morning towards Redondela, despite there being quite a few uphill climbs out of the city. Rumour has it the mayor doesn't like pilgrims visiting his town, so camino signs were few and far between until we reached the outskirts of Vigo. Then the climbs began again. They varied all day - through industrial areas, wooded areas, small hamlets... it always seemed to be uphill (well it was!)🤭
    I wish I could share the smells as well as the sights and occasional sounds. The scent of Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Pine has followed us from Porto and, even if the road has been tough, there's always been something to appreciate 🥰🥰🥰.
    Our burger lunch in Redondela repeated on us until we reached Arcade, just short of Pontesampaio, where we had a coke to take the taste away 🤢, then it was off to find tonight's accommodation. Pontesampaio is famous (here) for its medieval bridge which is a bit hairy to cross! We're staying in a small casita where we all have our own bedrooms so can snore to our heart's delight 😴😂. Supper was tortilla and French (Spanish) bread with beer and wine. Perfect!
    Another 22km tomorrow (usually ending up at something like 25km) and Santiago gets closer and closer!!!
    Read more