Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Change of plans...

    May 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Our accommodation last night was excellent (apart from the small kitchen). It was a stone built house with exposed stone everywhere. We enjoyed our stay, and joining the camino this morning was easy.
    The way was a mixture of uphill, downhill, through wooded areas, villages, hamlets, small industrial areas, farmland - everything you could ever dream of, all in one morning! Some of our paths were outstandingly beautiful, and it's difficult to reflect their beauty in a few photographs. Birds singing, frogs croaking - very loudly! - water falling, and the different scents of the camino. It's what we walk for!
    At one point we could choose between the road or a more green route, so obviously we chose the green route. It wound around the outskirts of Pontevedra and at times was a little tricky, with lots of stones and tree trunks to trip you up😨. Once back on the road, we wandered into Pontevedra town centre, stopping first for a cold drink (coke!) The town was busy, it being a Saturday, but it was fabulous to listen to street music and wander through the streets.
    We didn't know what to do for lunch; we still had about 11kms to do and knew we were eating at the albergue in the evening (no accommodation for miles around) and often communal meals are quite large, with humongous amounts of wine, so we were undecided... bocadilla or pilgrim's menu? Fortunately, we chose the pilgrim's menu🤣 so lunch was a 3 course meal. Couldn't say it was delicious, but it was fine.
    We trudged on, arriving at the albergue mid afternoon. We registered and were told the evening meal was at 1930, but we should gather at 1915 to prepare the table. What followed was like something out of Faulty Towers 🤭🤣. There must have been about 50 pilgrims seated outside. Pedro, the hospitalero, made some sort of speech about us all being one community, then told us to help ourselves to the evening's meal, which consisted of... cabbage soup and boiled eggs accompanied by bread and wine 😱😨🤣. "Eat as much as you like!" he shouted - 🤢🤢🤢🤣🤣🤣. Unsurprisingly, there was quite a lot of soup left over! The eggs disappeared, presumably because they were 'safe'! Following this epicurean delight, I got my phone out and checked our route for the last 2 days. Oh no! Another 2 albergues before we reached Santiago de Compostela. We decided there was no way we could do that again, so we changed tack and booked an apartment in Padron. It meant we'd have to take a bus for one stage but we were well up for that!
    To add insult to injury, climbing onto my bunk involved someone shoving me up there from behind 😆 and we hardly slept because of the snoring, the chatting, the coughing and the clapping! Yes, clapping! Presumably to stop the snoring🤔🤭🤣. We're looking forward to a good night's sleep after this!
    Such fun!🙄😆🤣
    Read more