Satellite
  • Day 2

    Tower of London

    September 5, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    As Ian had not been to the Tower of London before, and it must be over 30 years since I last visited, we decided we would check it out. We walked from our apartment, which was a fair old walk, but allowed us to absorb all our surroundings and enjoy blue sky and sunshine. Entry to the Tower is not cheap, 30.30 GBP per adult, and they call it a “donation”.

    We went to the Tower’s Mint, Traitor’s Gate, and The Bloody Tower - where sir Walter Raleigh had a study, and was also the site where King Edward the 5th and Richard of Shrewsbury (12 and 9 years of age) were imprisoned by their uncle ( Richard Duke of Gloucester), and there are rumours they were murdered as they were never seen again. We also saw the Queen’s residence, the Crown Jewels - the ones that were created after Olly Cromwell destroyed the originals in 1649. We also walked up on the Battlements and saw a display on the royal beasts. We also had a great view of Tower Bridge.

    There are 150 staff and their families who live within the Tower of London site - comprised of Welsh Guards, Beefeaters and Yeoman Warders. There are six Ravens that live at the site and, along with the Yeoman Warders, are considered the historic guardians of the Tower.
    Read more