Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Gibraltar at last!

    June 18, 2016 in Spain ⋅ 24 °C

    We had been about forty five miles east of Gibraltar when we changed course and would have expected to have being berthed about 07.00 but instead were now heading for Marbella which was still eighteen miles away.
    We had slowed to conserve fuel, knowing we'd probable have to wait till the morning before we could refill.
    Arrival in Gibraltar was now going to be sometime in the afternoon.

    We eventually reached the fuel berth at 04.30, tied up and as expected found that the pumps were closed until 08.00. We set the alarms and even with the loud music from the discos which were still in full swing, nothing could keep us awake.

    Dave and I were already up and began filling the tank as soon as the pumps were turned on.
    After 172.6 litres we were full, which meant that there had been 45.4 litres or near enough left in the tank when we tied up.
    Feck, we'd had made Gib after all.

    We left as soon as we had paid and to try to make up time, we increased engine speed and went into fast cruise mode on a flat calm sea without a puff of wind.
    We arrived off Europa Point, the southern tip of Gibraltar at 13.30 where we each posed for photos with the rock behind us as we motored past and continued into Algeciras Bay, heading north until we reached Alcaidesa Marina at La Linea, just on the Spanish side of the boarder with Gibraltar.
    We booked in at the reception berth and then moved to our berth, tying up at 14.30.

    I had originally hoped to spend two nights in Gibraltar but being weather bound in Adra had scrapped that plan. Even when we set off from Adra I was hoping to be exploring ashore from early morning, but now time was against me for what I needed to do there.

    The crew knew what I was up to, so as soon as we tied up at our berth I jumped ship, leaving them to their own devices. I was on a mission!

    Leg 10 - 134 mls. Total 1021 mls.
    Read more