Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Meeting Paddy

    July 2, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We eventually got to the entrance of the Ria de Vigo about 02.15 and tried to follow the navigation lights up the ria towards Vigo. We were able to pick out the navigation lights from the shore lights but it turned out there was more than one channel into the ria. I had thought I was in the main channel as I followed the starboard channel buoys in but I soon saw that some isolated marks were not where they were supposed to be. We slowed to a crawl as we tried to get our bearings.
    On checking the chartplotter, Tony and I were able to confirm where we were but more importantly could now see the direction we needed to go in, to get where we wanted to go. As we motored further up the channel all became clearer as by this stage there was now only one channel leading deeper into the ria.

    The marina I planned to go to was 11.5 miles from the entrance of the ria.
    We passed the marina where Paddy was sleeping but didn't stop as we knew all the berths were full and we continued on for another two miles to Punta Lagoa Marina.

    The narrow channel into the marina is well marked by buoys and lights on poles t night. There was so many lights that it was almost like a disco but without the flashing. We passed the breakwater and headed towards the fuel berth. We drifted slowly up to it and got off the boat to tie up at 04.30.
    Luckily the pontoon was quite long and we decided that if we walked the boat back a bit we could leave the fuel berth free for those who needed to use it and possible wouldn’t be disturbed while we slept, hopefully being allowed to wake naturally. Our plan worked and Tony and I slept soundly until 11.30.
    Normally it such circumstances I stay in my berth relaxing or reading until I hear movement from whoever else is on board and then I get up as I don't want to disturb those still sleeping. I think this time both of us had such a good rest after seven hours of uninterrupted sleep that we both woke about the same time and we were greeted by a lovely hot morning.

    I went ashore to find out about about getting a berth and refuelling Eureka once the motorboat ahead of us was filled. Once we had refuelled we motored to our allocated berth where members of the marina staff helped us to tie up to a finger berth.

    We weren't charged for the first night and we found the rates reasonable but the toilets & showers are still in portacabins and shared with a sailing school but more than adequate for our needs. I think most of the berths are used by locals so facilities ashore are not as important to them as they are in marinas elsewhere.

    Paddy surprised us by arriving down to the boat on his folding bicycle shortly after we had tied up and had even brought breakfast with him.
    We fitted the cockpit table, made some coffee and hungrily consumed the rolls and croissants and licked our lips while catching up on all the news with Paddy.

    Tony had met Paddy at my wedding and Paddy had played his guitar at the party in Tony’s house the following night so there was no introductions needed and both are easy going and adaptable, so I was looking forward the rest of the voyage home with both of them.
    We stowed Paddy’s bicycle in the saloon and got the marina office to call us a taxi so we could get into Vigo proper. While it was only a few kilometres, they were very hilly kilometres.
    Paddy showed us around the centre of Vigo and we saw the city marina where Jim O'Meara, another Cobh sailor keeps his boat 'Second Chance'.

    It’s a modern busy city with its shores filled with shipyards, marinas and a liner pier which is now used by cruise ships.
    While we were there, there was a parade of children accompanied by their parents and musicians and their costumes reminded me of Halloween in Ireland.

    For some reason it was decided to walk back to the marina. Paddy knew the way, or thought he did!
    We wandered back along side streets and through residential districts in the general direction of the marina, all the time questioning Paddy’s direction. The slagging had started!!

    On the way we found a local bar that served food and wearily sat down and ate while watching a match on the TV with the locals.
    After the food and a few beers we continued, thankfully this time mostly downhill to the marina.
    Paddy was intending to go back to his boat but we persuaded him to bunk down with us and that we would sail up to his marina in the morning and do whatever needed to be down to his boat before we left.
    We all slept well with Paddy taking possession of the passage cabin.

    Leg 14 - 78 mls. Total 1586 mls.
    Read more