Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Drinking in the rain

    June 12, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    We were up early as we are leaving today. Yipee!!

    We headed or the showers and back on the boat we had porridge for breakfast.
    Now normally I don't have porridge in the summer but this doesn't feel like summer.
    Over the past few days we have been getting messages from Cobh and Dublin asking us if we're enjoying the heatwave.
    Yes, we know Ireland is basking in a heatwave from watching the forecasts but while the rest of the country are splashing on sun protection we are sitting in a small area bad weather sitting right over us and it ain't budging.

    We said goodbye to Jim & Angela who had to walk a few kms to the cross roads to meet the bus and at the same time Brian and I left the marina at 10.00 and hoisted the main, motorsailing until out of the bay and the wind no longer on the nose.

    We had to keep a lookout for the many rocks that were waiting for the unaware but soon the genny was out and had a lovely sail west across Greatman’s Bay and on to Gotams Point.
    We took the inside passage and passed the many islands reefs and rocks, remembering to give a bow while passing McDara’s Island, an old tradition of the Galway Hookers.
    The tradition is to actually dip the mainsail but we decided to modify it slightly while still giving proper respect to the patron saint of the hookers.

    Soon after we changed course to the north towards Roundstone and as we entered the bay it began to rain gentle.
    We had just enough water to get over the bar but we couldn’t see any visitor moorings so anchored in a pool close to the pier and went ashore in the dinghy.
    The rain stopped for long enough for us to have a walk around the village and do some provisioning before sitting outside ‘Doyle’s’ having a pint under the awning as the rain began again, then we headed back to the boat.
    Shame, we had a lovely sail to get here and it looked a lovely place, just a pity about the weather at the end.

    Brian made the dinner which included adding a glass of wine, the rest we drank.
    We talked and talked for the rest of the evening before Brian went to organise his cabin and I wrote up the log.
    Read more