Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    In Titanic's Wake.

    July 18, 2021 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We were heading up to Belfast and when we called up the port authorities, they were very helpful as we made our way up the busy shipping channel and kept us notified of all shipping movements. The safety of all vessels no matter how small was paramount.

    We motored up past the Harland & Wolff shipyard with its famous cranes, past HMS Caroline, the last survivor of the battle of Jutland, past the slip where the Titanic slipped into the water for the first time and soon we were turning into the Abercorn Basin with its small but lovely marina.

    We were soon berthed and felt a bit like one of the animals in a zoo.
    We were in the middle of the Titanic Quarter and many of the locals and tourists taking a Sunday stroll were looking down at us from the surrounding quays.

    Jim & Angela were heading up to the city centre while I was meeting a friend from Cobh and her family some of whom are now living in Belfast.
    As they headed away I tidied Eureka to receive visitors.
    Later I explored the Titanic Quarter and the slipways with the Smiths and was invited for dinner at their home before getting a lift back to the marina.

    Jim & Angela had a pleasant day in Belfast and we organised leaving in the morning before I headed back to Eureka.
    Read more