Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Gold and White

    October 14, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    The weather decided to play along and we had an excellent day - or as excellent as we could expect.
    Our tour started early to the area known as the golden circle. First Stop, Hakid visitor center, where we could see the biggest lake in Iceland, where the old Parliament used to take place in the year 970 AC. From there we also see the division between the north American and European tectonic plates.

    Second stop, the Gullfoss falls, formed by glacier water. Again we were lucky as the sky was clear and the visibility amazing. Not a hint of rain.

    From the Gullfoss we took a monster truck to the longest glacier in Iceland - Langjökull. Incredible immensity of white surrounding us, absolutely isolated from everyone and everything else. We have learned so many interesting things about glacier, how they are formed and melted by volcanic activity that it's impossible to describe in few lines.

    After being back, we experienced the opposite as we observed geysers - including Geyser, the geyser that named all geysers. We have experienced two nice eurpting but obviously it got shy as we were filming it.

    The landscape on the way back was amazing, including driving by the Kerid crate - for my next visit to Iceland - and some stunning ice mountains.
    Read more