Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Kim Bong

    April 18, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Deciding to be slightly more touristy we joined a free tour that is run by local students who want to improve their English. Our tour guide was superb and one of the best guides I've had in my time in Vietnam.

    The tour was around a local village in Hoi An called Kim Bong Village. Our first stop was at the local boat making business which built both fishing boats and boats for tourists. The eyes on the boats are pointy to protect the boat against evils of the water and are typically found only in north Vietnam rather than the south.

    Our next stop was a local home where they make sea grass sleeping mats, all of us in turn having a go. We also went to another local home and tried rice paper cakes which were surprisingly delicious. Here, anyone who wanted could have a try at making the rice paper. It was an easy task but repetitive and can imagine it gets quite laborious after a while.
    After stopping off at a hand made crafts shop it was time for the tour to end.

    Needing to get another fitting for our clothes we stopped by the old town and then headed back to the hostel to enjoy the rest of the day's sun.

    For the evening in the hostel it was tropical themed which allowed us to wear some questionable outfits. However the evening ended up with all of us being thrown in the pool finishing the evening soaked.
    Read more