Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Pompei and Salerno

    May 25, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    On Thursday we took a side trip by train from Salerno to Pompei. The train, by comparison to French trains, was clean, modern, had English notices and announcements, was inexpensive and on time. What is surprising is that the Italians we've met do not speak much English whereas the French do.
    Pompei was fantastic! A bit of a lineup and a wait to get in but quite efficient and once in, you could wander wherever and avoid the crowds/tour groups. It's a marvel that so much has been uncovered and is intact. Even blown glass perfume vials and carved hair pins with such intricate details! Piecing together frescoes is the ultimate jigsaw puzzle. Amazing.
    Yesterday we wandered around Salerno. We visit a lot of churches for the architecture and to see the opulence. Some are so full of glitz and some are in such inaccessible places it makes you wonder how, why??? They are a contradiction of the beauty and the macabre.
    After paying cigarettes ☠ and beer🍺 to the young fellow at the fuel dock to look after our dinghy, we motored back to the sailboat. We were visited by a Swiss couple who invited us onto their catamaran for drinks which turned into dinner. It was a lovely night and they gave us lots of info and advice on harbours and places. They know another sailing couple from Bella Coola! It's always a pleasure meeting new people and hearing their stories.
    Salerno is our last southern spot before we head north again and leave the boat at an as yet to be confirmed marina.
    Read more