Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Archeological sites

    April 11 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We are still living on the boat which is on land in the marina. We are amidst the millions of dollars worth of boats of all sizes, shapes, and styles. There are a number of people working on their boats including the Australian couple we met last year in Sarande! Behind us is a South African couple. Apparently only a fraction of the boats will actually get put in the water!
    I enjoy being on the boat even though we have to climb up and down a ladder to use the facilities. The birds sing to us morning and night. There's even one making a nest in the boom of a neighbour's boat! Herons fly overhead. The sunrises and sunsets are lovely and the weather is beautiful . We'll stay on-board until all is finalized. In the meantime, we're driving around the area visiting historical and archeological sites. The countryside varies from craggy scrubby mountains to lush farmlands, groves of olive trees, lemon trees, wetland marshes, rocky gorges and the blue Mediterranean.
    Even though Bob is no longer a Captain of this ship, he still putters around, climbs down the "hole" and checks the sails. It was to my detriment when he swung the boom over as I climbed up the ladder and CRACK - my head! I won't miss the bumps, lumps and brain bruises (as Nick calls them)!In spite of my lumpy head, we set off to visit Nicopolis, a city founded in 29 BC by Octavian in commemoration of his victory in 31 BC over Antony and Cleopatra at the Battle of Actium. We walked amongst the ruins and marveled at the remains. The theatre was next but it could only be viewed behind a fence and scaffolding. Searching for a Roman villa sent us on a wild goose chase and we ended the search after driving kms. out of our way. Next we drove up the mountain along the rocky gorge to the Roman aqueduct. There was a lovely park and stream where we startled a frog into a wild leap into the fast current, never to be seen again! We finished our day with dinner in Preveza on the boardwalk then back to the boat. A lovely sunset ended the day.
    Read more