Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Lefkada sights

    April 12 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    After our coffee and breakfast in the cockpit listening to the marina waking up: birds chirping and flapping, people chatting, and tools whirring, we set off towards Lefkada. We had sailed there last year. We took the old road through the country and up, up then down along the salt marsh where we saw a flock of flamingos so Bob quickly turned off on a dirt path. We walked across a wooden bridge to the outer beach then drove back onto the main road and across the lift bridge we'd had to wait for last year, twice! Easy peasy this year! We drove the sea side around to the town then parked and got our bikes out and rode through and around the Levkas. There is a massive marina and there are lovely pedestrian streets and alleys, churches, shops and restaurants. After lunch, we set off down the coast along the channel we'd cruised last year. Dipped my toes then drove to the other side of the island driving up into the mountains and down to the fabulous Pefkoulia beach. The roads are full of S bends and even sharp switchbacks with not much turning room, especially with oncoming traffic. There are lots of rock falls with either netting or barriers at the bottom of the cliffs but still somewhat alarming. The drivers are fast but not crazy and they are patient with the slower pokes! Bob has done very well with the standard shift even on the tight mountain corners. I'm not quite as white knuckled as last year in the mountains of Albania when Bob didn't know how to reverse!
    We got back to the marina in time for thé sunset. A lovely day seeing the "inside" of Levkada.
    Read more