Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Mountains & beaches

    April 14 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    On Sat., we decided to go back to Levkada to explore the mountain villages. Our car has a navigation system but trying to input destinations has caused a few choice words 🤬both at the computer and each other! Sailing navigation is easier with the whole sea, not narrow, winding roads and lanes leading to dead ends requiring multiple turns and reversals! 😬 Of course docking Sea la Vie has also had its challenges!
    The scenery as we went up, and up some more, was gorgeous with fertile valleys below and forested mountainsides. Fortunately, there isn't a lot of traffic so we can go at a comfortable speed on these zigzag roads. At least they are paved, unlike our Albanian experience! After poking through traditional villages, we went down to Nydri and revisited Tranquil Bay from the land side with a walk along to the church at the point. It's where we anchored twice during the thunderstorm ⛈ last Oct.!
    On the way back to Levkada town, we stopped at Nikiana Beach and I had my first swim! The water was lovely with a slight refreshing bite as the air temp. is averaging 30C!
    The sailing season hasn't started so we are finding that most shops and restaurants are still closed from last Nov. and there are very few tourists. The restaurants that are open are very welcoming, accommodating, and friendly. When we returned to the same restaurant in Preveza, the server remembered us and brought us tzatziki, olives and a 2nd glass of wine "on the house"!
    Yesterday (Sunday) was a slower day as we were sorting luggage and trying to gather info on the airline cost of our baggage. 🤯 We are also planning what to do with luggage as we traipse around Greece and Turkey.
    We went into Preveza and traveled along the sea stopping at lovely beaches. We talked to some lovely families with young children who were playing in the waves and building trenches and castles. A 4 yr. old from Poland and I showed each other the beautiful rocks we'd found and as we walked away, he ran after us to give me his rock. 🥰
    Back to our beach, had a swim and a doze on the sand then wandered along the promenade for dinner. Busier here in Preveza but still fairly quiet. A talk with the kids ended our lovely day.
    Read more