Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Marshes and monuments

    April 17 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After a day of not much doing except watching a NATO surveillance plane circling and flying over us all day, we decided on Wed. to take a trip to the Amvrakikos Wetlands past Preveza. Rather than take the longer route towards the Aqueduct, we turned off to a side road which again lead us to the Roman Villa. We did see the ancient olive press and baths but the Villa remains elusive! We followed some cows but it seems they led us astray so Bob maneuvered a narrow turnaround and we continued on our way. The gravel road along the shore seemed to get narrower and closer to the water, and was strewn with fallen rocks from the cliff along side us. I saw a few water fowl but not the pelicans I was hoping to see. We stopped at the Monastery of Pania Rhodia and from there the road was paved and 2 lane. We passed another flock of flamingos and once we were in the small town saw a stork/heron? sitting on a huge nest atop a pole! Very regal with a multitude of small birds flocking in and around the nest. The wetlands were beautiful but disappointing in its lack of birds.
    I've resorted to using Google maps on my phone rather than the 🤬 NAV in the car so we were able to find the route to the Monument of Zalongo this time. It is up the mountains and atop a cliff. It commemmorates the mass suicide of women and children in 1803 in order to be free of Ottoman ruler, Ali Pasha, whose house we saw at Vonitsa Castle. We climbed the 410 steps up the cliff to see the Monument, a small church and the gorgeous view. It's called the Dance of Zalongo because they danced before throwing themselves off the cliff. 😭🤯
    We stopped in Preveza for a walk along the harbourfront and a late lunch/early dinner at a quiet but lovely place with singing birds, hanging baskets, and cats. When the plane again flew overhead, the restaurant owners advised it was practicing and that there is a NATO base nearby. Who knew?!
    Read more