Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Kampala YMCA

    November 12, 1991 in Uganda

    Crossed the border into Uganda and was much disturbed to find out that Brits now need a visa, costing $20, to get into Uganda. Managed to convince them I only needed a transit visa, which was $10. There is no black market in Uganda for money, despite what all the matey-peeps in no-mans land will tell you.

    Peeps in general very helpful and friendly, the roads very good (Even a dual carriageway for a bit) and the matatu very fast but full and immensely uncomfortable. Crossed the dam that is the source of the Nile and arrived in Kampala about mid-day, absolutely stuffed.
    Kampala is damned hot but not a bad place. The countryside is incredibly lush and really nice, but Kampala isn’t a picturesque place. I wandered around at random but it took me a couple of hours to find a handicraft of any sort, and no trace of any headrests or anything vaguely interesting. Hang around a little with a Kiwi and an Aussie (Who was everything you would expect). The Aussie was telling me about this tape he had with him, about a great Aussie singer. I tried to avoid listening to it but it turned to be Kevin Bloody Wilson (see Australia 1990). No escape from The Yobbo!
    Staying at the YMCA with a dozen or so others. It is sparse but OK. Dinner was good but took 2.5 hours to arrive! Changed £20 and got a huge wad of notes, more than 150 notes – about 38000 Uganda shillings.
    Read more