Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Athens Day 4 - Mykonos

    August 6, 2020 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Finally, our spontaneous trip to Mykonos had arrived 😁! We jumped in a taxi at 4.30am and by 6.30 we were on our flight to Mykonos. Our hotel was strategically only a 20 minute walk from the airport and at 7.30am it was cool enough for it to be pleasant!

    We dropped our bags off at Sea and Stone(??!!) resort and jumped straight in a taxi to Mykonos town. We were absolutely ravenous so headed straight to breakfast at yummy (salmon for Craig and veggie omelette for me - perfect!).

    Next we were off to the Mykonos windmills and given the time of day, there was not single a tourist to be seen. We climbed down and found a perfect bench by the water and enjoyed the peaceful moment! We did some exploring down the gorgeous narrow lanes and then on to Negrita (??!!) in little Venice for a smoothie and beer (both 8€ lol). By this point I was pretty chuffed with everything we'd managed to do in a few hours.

    We spent the afternoon at Santanna beach bar and splashed out on a front row sunbed on the beach. The music was good and I'd found a nice bottle of rosé to nurse slowly that didn't break the bank.

    We had a dinner reservation at Scorpios, which was a 5 minute walk from Santanna! Scorpios is owned by Soho House and my old boss Adam from Arcadia is now the FD for Europe and he had arranged for us to meet the boss there Vassillies who was so much fun and joined us for a drink. I went for the lobster pasta as the veggie options weren't great (and also coz why not) and Craig went for the steaks and both were amazing! We were delighted to find that a 50% off discount had been applied, making the bill much more manageable!

    We tried to find Vassillies after to say thank you but had no luck. By this point the bottle and a half of wine had taken its toll and we were asking the bar men to leave a drink behind the bar for Vassillies. The bar man said 'haha, no one buys Vassillies a drink'. Sober, we now understand this, no one buys the big boss a drink in his own bar! Anyway the gesture was there.

    We left to check into the room before the reception closed at 10pm and felt quite smug walking past the huge queue to Scorpios that snaked around the car park! The lady in reception at the hotel turned the hot tub on for us and we enjoyed a final drink before passing out! What a fabulous day!
    Read more