Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Athens Day 6

    August 8, 2020 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Our last full day in Athens arrived far too quickly!

    We hailed a cab towards shopping district in the morning to get some essentials for the rest of our trip (bearing in mind we left England with two small hand luggage cases)! I also got my nails done whilst Craig had a quick pint in one of our favourite bars - he guiltily only admitted this to me the other day hahah!

    We spent the rest of the afternoon packing up the air BnB and getting ready for the flight to the Maldives the next day.

    Before long it was time to meet our guide Robbert (a Dutch entrepreneur living in Athens) for the bike tour. After around two minutes of cycling the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour. We sheltered under some trees but the rain wasn't going anywhere so we made a mad dash for a bar a few minutes away, ordered three pints and waited for it to blow over.

    Once the rain stopped we resumed the tour and visited some of the most famous ruins in Athens. The highlights were the stunning Philopappos Hill - the birth place of democracy which also had a great view of the Acropolis, Hadrian's Arch & Temple and Hadrian's library.

    After a fab few hours the tour was over but we were getting on so well so we decided to to carry on the evening together. First stop was a sports bar, then a craft beer brewery and finally a tavern bar ran by his friends (with free Ouzo). Throughout the crawl we learned about Roberts multiple business ventures, from wooden bikes, to solar energy, to plant subscriptions (I even reviewed a business plan at one point but not sure how helpful I was after that many Ouzos).

    We ended the night in a beach bar with some cocktails, completely oblivious to the headaches that would naturally accompany them the next day!
    Read more