Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Maldives Transit (Qatar)

    August 9, 2020 in Qatar ⋅ ☀️ 44 °C

    After an amazing (extended) two weeks in Greece visiting Santorini, Mykonos and Athens it was time to officially start our travelling trip - with an impromptu two week trip to the Maldives.

    Flying in a global pandemic takes more time and preparation than normal (filling out tedious health declarations, wearing masks, sanitising 24/7) but also has its perks with quieter planes, airports and the flexibility to rearrange and cancel.

    Our flight from Athens to Qatar was at about 10% capacity meaning we had plenty of space to stretch out and the full attention of the staff. The only negative was the compulsory visors but they really weren't as bad as we thought and soon forgot about them (literally, to the point we're we were trying to drink water and ended up bashing the water into them!)

    We thought our 5 hour wait in Qatar would drag but couldn't be more wrong. The airport was huge with a good selection of shops, bars and restaurants. We settled in a food hall but weren't impressed with the food so went to the Harrods restaurant after which was much better! We killed the last hours in a bar and nursed our drinks very slowly - the bill made Mykonos look budget!

    We boarded our flight to the Maldives at 1.30am and although it was much busier than the last flight, we still had a bank of 3 seats to ourselves. Absolutely exhausted, we slept for the whole flight and woke up just as the piolet was announcing the descent into the Maldives.
    Read more