Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Tanzania Day 17 - Kilimanjaro Day 1

    September 20, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    After a motivational watch of the new Mulan film last night we set off around 8am from Arusha for the 3 hour drive to Kilimanjaro. We stopped along the way to pick up some supplies for the climb and also our guide William and chef Steven. Personally I was excited with a hint of nerves and I would say Gem was the other way around!

    We waited at the starting point for our porters to have their bags weighed and for William to sort the formalities and we headed just outside the main gate for a quick lunch before setting off around 2.30pm. At lunch we met our assistant guide Augustino who had used to be a main guide but because of his age and 'changes in technology' he had stepped back down. He spoke reasonable English but had a calming influence that would go on to be beneficial throughout the climb!

    The landscape was all rainforest with some noticeably steep parts but in general quite a comfortable walk - we stopped en route for William to point out wildlife and plants and after roughly 4 hours we arrived at Mandara Camp.

    It was so much nicer than we had anticipated and had the feel of a holiday camp with chalets and a restaurant area. After a short rest we had dinner and went straight to bed, we were at 2700m so not too cold and all in all a good night sleep.
    Read more