Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Tanzania Day 18 - Kilimanjaro Day 2

    September 21, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After a good rest and breakfast we set off at 830am for the longest accent day of the trip an 11km climb to Horombo Camp 3700m. The landscape would change during the 6 hour trek from rainforest to moorland, meaning we could catch a glimpse of the peak for the first time (which felt impossibly far away)

    We were both taking altitude sickness tablets and neither of us had any problems at this stage. There was a point around 4 hours in just before we stopped for lunch that was a solid hour of steep incline with a completely rocky terrain which I found really hard. A combination of this plus too many layers and a heavy day bag meant I felt terrible by the time we stopped, basically just tired and nausious but it passed after a break. Gem apart from being a little tired was fine at this point!

    We finished our day with an easier/flatter 2 hours to Horombo and on arrival to camp were greated by a group of clouds blowing past us at head height and when passed a breathtaking view back down the mountain and across Tanzania.

    Again no hassle with altitude so another comfortable, if slightly colder, nights sleep and both feeling ready for the next day!,
    Read more