Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    Mexico Day 96 - Oaxaca City

    April 16, 2021 in Mexico ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    After our longest overnight bus journey yet we made it into Oaxaca City feeling both tired and excited! Luckily our friend Thao had already arrived so we had a place to head straight to at 7am for a shower and a nap!

    That day we walked around to explore the city and Gem went with Thao in the afternoon/evening for a cooking class. The class was lead by a mexican chef who had worked all over the world. The class was in his beautiful garden which also doubles as his restaurant that is usually hired out for private parties. He also had three gorgeous dogs - a retired German Shepard guard dog, a rottweiler puppy in training to be a guard dog and a cute but dopey Andrex advert dog (can't remember the breed hah).

    The first part of the class was walking to a local market and buying all the fresh ingredients. Once we made it back we learned how to make maize tortillas, empenadas and quesadillas from scratch and a chilli sauce to go with it. Next it was onto mole, a traditional mexican stew with really rich flavours. For desert we made fried plantain balls flavoured with chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla, with a cream cheese stuffing. All so delicious!!
    Read more