Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Mexico Day 97 - 99 - Oaxaca City

    April 19, 2021 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We started the day with a lovely breakfast in a rooftop cafe called tierra del sol which we had to wait 25 minutes for a table for. We tried talayudas for the first time (basically a mexican pizza with a tortilla base and topped with refried beans and cheese).

    We spent the afternoon relaxing and catching up on some much needed sleep!

    That evening we had a booking at Casa Oaxaca - which most people we had spoken to said was the best restaurant in Oaxaca! It didn't disappoint! From the moment we sat down the service and food was brilliant, we managed to get a table on the roof terrace and as the sun was coming down had some beautiful views of the city!

    After we found a cocktail bar whilst our friend did some shopping and then decided to head on to a kareoke bar because why not!? It was pretty busy with locals dancing to Latino music and it didn't seem like the right time to butcher Sweet Caroline so we waited and chatted with some locals and other tourists! Eventually the dancing stopped and after a few locals we all had our turn, I like to think I impressed so much that they demanded an encore as the bar manager asked me to do Bohemian Rhapsody after, although what is more likely is that Los Mexicanos found me so terribly bad it was funny and they just wanted to laugh more! And with any laugh being a positive for me I was happy to oblige!

    As the night went on our friend sang a Vietnamese ballad and Gem found her new best song with Adele Someone like you going down a storm!! By this point we were having a great time and chatting with the locals and bar owner as well as some other English tourists! We finished the night in the nightclub part of the bar dancing to some Mexican classics with a group from Guadalajara!!

    On Sunday after struggling through a breakfast we decided 'hair of the dog' was the only solution and ended up stumbling across an amazing rooftop bar which was the perfect way to spend the day! Our friend flew back to CDMX that evening and after seeing her off into a cab we headed straight to the hotel for an early night!
    Read more