Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Tower Bridge and St Katherine Docks

    October 1, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    It may seem strange, but I am going to devote an entire footprint to the area in which we have finally landed for our last few days in the UK.

    St Katherine Docks takes its name from the former hospital that was on this site St Katherine's by the Tower, situated as it is next to the Tower of London and our hotel there adjacent Tower Bridge. It's a pretty special place that attracts lots of people to come see the sights.

    St Katherine Docks these days is essentially a large marina for houseboats and some very expensive yachts and even a superyacht. They are linked to the Thames by a gate that opens or closes as they need to vary to the depth of the water. It is very pretty by both day and night, and is surrounded on one side by cafes, restauarants and shops, and some offices on another, while all the rest is built up residential real estate; a lovely, but I would imagine, expensive place to live.

    Staying at Tower Bridge Hotel, you cannot excape the view of Tower Bridge. it is just out the front door as well as through the windows in the cocktail bar.

    Walking across the bridge from either direction brings a new sense that you do not immediately get from looking at it from afar. It is huge. Really huge. It is undoubtedly one of the great bridges of the world. It is lovely to look at in its blue and cream livery, and at night, the lighting on the bridge brings it to life in a ver special, even romantic way. The walkways are generous, and you cannot help but stop and join the throng of other people also stopped while taking pics and selfies, as well as pics of views of the Thames and the city from the bridge.

    And right there, just next to you while you do all that, is the Tower of London bringing in just that bit of added historic atmosphere. London, wow!
    Read more