Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Palace of Westminster and London Eye

    October 3, 2023 in Australia

    The two main events that we had pre-booked for today were a tour of the Houses of Parliament (Palace of Westminster) and a circumtourist on the London Eye.

    The Houses of Parliament was a great tour. Led by Paul, who gave us all headsets to wear so we could more easily hear him among the many people in the building at any one time, this was a slow meander through the important rooms of the building. The MPs and Lords were not sitting that day, so it was less busy.

    You start this tour in the grand hall, Westminster Hall. Built in 1095 by Rufus, son of William the Conqueror, it is large and capacious. It was once the largest hall in all Europe. Its timbered oaken roof is a wonder to behold and is once again, an extraordinary engineering feat such that the whole thing stays up without any supporting columns.

    Up the stairs at the far end of the hall, you can look back over the room and know that famous trials were held there, including those of Thomas Moore, William Wallace and Charles 1. We've seen Churchill lying in state in that room as well as, last year, Queen Elizabeth. We've seen the new King sitting half way up the steps to receive parliamentarians' condolences on the death of the Queen. Given that the last Charles to be in the place, who subsequently lost his head, I understand the new Kind did not mention his forbear. Photography was only permitted in the Hall, not past that point, so no pics of inside the inside.

    We were taken into all the various rooms that were permitted and heard some basic history and how the British political system works, an interesting and enjoyable two hours.

    Then, off to meet our friend Wayne and to do the most touristy thing you can do in London, have a ride on the London Eye. This fourth largest ferris wheel in the world is 135 metres high and rotates at just under 1 km per hour (0.9km) carrying 32 pods or capsules as they call them, one for each borough of London.

    I had thought I might get a little acrophobic or at least generally anxious up there, but in truth, it was such a smooth rotation and the capsules felt so solid, that I was perfectly fine the whole time. The views are truly amazing. Lots of places we had already been to, we could see from the bird's eye view. Our friend is a Londoner and he could quickly spot places and point them out to us. Very handy. I must say, it was Chris' idea to go on the Eye, but I am very glad he organised it. I enjoyed it immensely.

    After the Eye, the three of us went and had brunch and drinks at Gordon's Wine Bar which is a dark downstairs bar in an old cellar. The house over the top of it used be lived in by Samuel Pepys in 1680 and Kipling in the 1890s. Lit by candelight and having to really lower your head on the close ceilings, it was a fabulous experience. And the bvlue cheese, OMG, the blue cheese. Quel fromage.
    Read more