Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Uffizi Gallery

    March 27, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    The Uffizi is one of the most visited museums in the world. Their collection began with the Medici family's collection which was organized, at least in part and during their reign, on the top floor of the Uffizi. (Uffizi means offices as it was originally intended as office spaces for municipal officials. After the family died out, more and more of this 16th century building was used to display the art.)
    Not surprisingly, the bulk of the collection is later medieval and renaissance plus a significant number of Roman sculptures. The 1st picture looks down one long hall lined with the sculptures.
    The rest of the pictures are from around the gallery. The museum and the art is overwhelming, and I'm not an art historian. So I can't recall who is the artist in many of the works. These pictures are my attempt to capture a sense of the museum and the nature of the collection, not so much to highlight specific works or artists, though I can say that the collection includes da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Dürer, Titian and many, many more. If anyone recognizes any of these and wants to identify them, please do.
    There are also several particular rooms of several design. The last picture is an example of one of them.
    Read more