Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Pape'ete, Tahiti

    April 10, 2023 in French Polynesia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Papeete on the island of Tahiti is the capital of the overseas collective of French Polynesia. Not only is it the political capital, it is the economic and cultural center, as well.
    As noted elsewhere, my 2 days here are Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Both are legal holidays, with most places closed. Among the places I didn't get to visit are the pearl museum and the pearl market. There are also some below with exterior pictures of closed buildings.
    The 1st picture is the Papeete city hall. The 2nd picture is the municipal market. Both closed.
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are of Notre Dame cathedral: exterior and interior. I took the interior picture from farther back to get the full sized Madonna and child carving. In this case, the child is holding breadfruit. While it's hard to see, the paintings incorporate both European and Tahitian styles with the result showing the influence of Paul Gauguin.
    The 5th picture is the legislative assembly compound, and the 6th is the Presidential Palace compound. Both closed for the holiday.
    If I get back and have a chance to be here when they are open, I'll post more.
    Read more