Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Samos II

    June 4, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Benedict of Nursia, known today as the Father of Western Monasticism, established a Rule that became the pattern for life in the monasteries of Europe and a standard for monasticism in Western Christianity.
    In about 540 AD, after founding the monastery of Monte Cassino, Benedict wrote his Rule for the monastery, which became the foundation of the Benedictine order.
    Benedictine monks are sometimes referred to as “Black Monks” because they wear black habits.

    Benedict’s principal goal was to create a setting and a way of life where the voice of God could be heard without distractions and where the disciplines of prayer, service, and good works would lead to continual progress in spiritual growth, faith, and ultimately, inexpressible joy in loving and serving God.

    Becoming a monk under the Rule of Benedict meant a life-long commitment. After a year on probation, a monk professed three vows: stability (a promise to remain in the community), the reformation of his own life, and obedience.

    Much of the Rule is devoted to developing the monastic family and how life in the community should operate. Benedictine monks spend about four hours a day in the "divine office" of prayer and another four hours a day in reading the Scriptures. According to Benedict, manual work is a form of holy prayer. Each monk is given work assignments because labor is a valued and integral part of the human experience.

    Work is also crucial because each monastery is to be as independent and self-supporting as possible. In the Middle Ages, when beer was a primary source of nutrition for most people, Benedictine monks became famous for their advanced methods in beer-making. Around 100 monks were needed to operate a brewery.
    Read more