Satellite
  • Day 29

    Day 28 - High Winds cause Carnage

    May 20, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Woke up to a bit of an overcast day. We had our continental breakfast at the hotel & got set for another adventure.

    We left Visalia & took the 198 up past Lake Kaweah & on to Three Rivers, which was quite a sweet village, popular with adventure tourists like us! Thirty miles after setting off, we arrived at the entrance to Sequoia National Park & joined a queue to get in. I didn’t realise it was going to be so popular.

    When we reached the entrance booth, the Park Ranger asked us if we had snow chains. We didn’t. She then informed us that we could only go as far as 6 miles until the road was closed to us due to snow. As we had a NP Pass, we went in & drove the 6 miles to Hospital Rock & picnic area.

    We got out in the rain, saw the signs warning us of it being a high risk bear area, looked at a nice rock, then got back into the car. It was about 10.30am & it was interesting to see a large group actually having a bbq, albeit a soggy one.

    We were in need of changing our plans. We decided that we would drive to Lone Pine at one of the entrances to Death Valley. We drove out & picked up & headed south on California 65, then turned east on California 155. This was a deserted road with just the odd entrance to cattle ranches & a sign saying no fuel for 55 miles.

    We drove down the road dodging squirrels & chipmunks on suicide missions, but the highlight was us both seeing a coyote (our 1st decent wildlife spot of the trip) stood in a field just watching us. I came to a gentle stop & reversed back, but unfortunately he had already disappeared.

    The road was yet another windy steep road, which entered Sequoia National Forest. The road continued upwards to pass over Green Horn Summit at 6,102ft in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Again we had to drive through slush, the temperature dropped to minus & we crept down the other side.

    On the other side, we arrived at Lake Isabella, then Weldon & Onyx before meeting up with Highway 395 & heading north. Now we had the snowcapped Sierra Nevada Mountains on our left hand side & Death Valley on our right as we travelled up through the El Camino Sierra.

    We were happily driving along, I had one hand on the steering wheel eating a cheese stick, when suddenly our car was blown violently to the right. Really scary. I slowed down & held the steering wheel with both hands. In front of us we could see massive dust clouds blowing across the road.

    Next, flashing signs warned high sided vehicles not to proceed. We continued & witnessed scenes of total carnage. 1st we came upon a lorry with its trailer on its side, then another, then a car pulling a boat on a trailer, but the boat had blown off & was now in a field. On the other carriageway, a big HGV was on its side AND was blocking the entire southbound carriageway.

    We stopped at a rest area to use the loo & it was packed with motorcyclists & people trying to secure their loads. I had never experienced wind like this. We continued & saw more vehicles on their side & eventually passed through the worst of it & into the town of Lone Pine. This is where we intended to stay tonight & we found The Portal Motel to satisfy our needs.

    Literally immediately behind our motel is Mt. Whitey, the tallest mountain in America outside of Alaska. It & it’s fellow mountains create a fantastic backdrop. We had pizza & beer, then walked it off with a stroll up & down the main drag. I was asked by a motorcycle gang to take a photo of them.

    FITBIT = 5,713 steps / 2.65 miles.

    Song of the Day - A Forest by The Cure.

    Bonus Songs of the Day :-

    Into Dust by Mazzy Star
    Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
    Read more