Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Day 23 - (Un)Lucky Elephants

    January 2, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    Despite an early night we still struggled to get up this morning. It was 9.30am when we sprang into action. We had to pack our rucksacks for pastures new.

    Around 11.00am we heaved our rucksacks down to reception, to settle up & say goodbye to Ying, not Ling as previously stated. She kindly printed off our flight tickets & organised a Tuk Tuk for us through her cousin, so we paid just 200 Baht instead of 300. She then gave us each a Lucky Elephant 🐘 as a gift, before they took some photos with us. Ying & her husband were so lovely, we will miss them.

    The cousin arrived & we loaded down the Tuk Tuk with our luggage. It was a bumpy old ride to Lanta Nice Beach Resort at Khlong Nin Beach.

    When we arrived some horrible looking paedophile was stood outside reception smoking a fag & basically in our way. We bumped past him & spoke to the rather chubby South African, Alex, who checked us in. We had to wait 10 minutes for our room to be made up. I had one concern, we would be next to the paedo & guess what we were. He literally chain smokes & had a teenage boy with him. This didn’t put us in the best frame of mind, still lunch would be good!!

    We have gone budget this time - £25 per night, but you get what you pay for & it attracts a lower standard of guest or families!! The walls of our room are all cracked & we have a mustard velour sheets & pillow cases. Jackie is already on the hunt for the next hotel, clearly getting too fussy in her old age.

    We unpacked our rucksacks, then dropped off some laundry with chubby Alex, before walking up to Soul Kitchen. We both ordered the Garlic Dhal Set that had been so lovely the last time we visited. The dhal was different this time, which was still nice, but a disappointment & I couldn’t have a 2nd Chang because they didn’t have any cold ones.

    After we went on an exploration mission. Yesterday, I had stupidly told Jackie that I thought her stomach was flatter since being on this holiday, so when she saw a weighing machine outside the 7-11, she insisted we weigh ourselves. It didn’t go well, I had stayed the same, but Jackie had put on half a stone.

    We wandered around looking for potential new hotels & stopped in the Rasta Baby bar for an overpriced beer. Our hotel hunt continued until 5pm, when we indulged in a happy hour drink at sunset.

    In our explorations we had espied a restaurant with the sign ‘Roi Thai’ above it. Ying had told that Roi Thai was famous for cooking classes & good food, so we were going there that night for some top notch cuisine.

    That evening,we went to the Roi Thai Restaurant, confusingly also called La Marina. Jackie had the crab plate that was recommended on the menu & I had a yellow chicken curry. It was a disaster, Jackie’s crab was all shell & no meat, after being told the crab was shell less & in a curry paste. My chicken curry was virtually devoid of chicken & was bland & the rice was dried out. Then, to top it all the bill included 2 beers that we didn’t order. After expressing our displeasure at the meal & the bill error, the waitress accidentally gave us too much change & I accidentally failed to tell her. The owner/manager was just a supercilious tw&t, but I’d seek to get my revenge in the morning.

    That was the end to a pretty rubbish day. Surely things can only get better in the morning.

    Song of the Day - Elephant by Tame Impala.
    Read more