Satellite
  • Day 33

    Day 32 - Pesky Kids Ruined Our Lunch

    January 11, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    The plan today was to have a decent lunch at Soul Kitchen. After discussions, we agreed that we would go to breakfast, but we hardly ate anything. I had two slices of toast & scrambled egg which was apparently too much. Jackie had a mouthful of toast & egg. Still we would appreciate lunch at Soul Kitchen all the more!

    The Irish tinkers were also at breakfast, but had multiplied to four. They really do breed like rabbits!!

    Out we went to lap our last two days of sun. We arrived at Soul Kitchen to discover it was closed, as were half the other bars & restaurants. Luckily it was quiet & we found an acceptable alternative in Otto Restaurant that had identical deckchairs.

    Having apparently eaten too much breakfast, I went straight off for my run on soft sand due to the high tide. Upon returning to Jackie we went straight off for a walk & discovered the source of the restaurant closures.

    It was another ‘Children’s Day’ in a marquee at the end of the beach. Hundreds of parents with their children at what could best be described as a festival / fair / beauty pageant. There were kids everywhere, sprawling out on to the beach & into the sea.

    We tried lunch at Otto’s which is a German Restaurant & serving predominantly western food. We ordered Spring Rolls & some fat chips to accompany our Changs. It was naughty, but nice.

    In the afternoon, Jackie decided to go down to the waters edge & lie on the sand in everyone’s way, whilst I had a siesta under my book. I woke up sometime later to see Jackie’s sarong still at the waters edge, still in everyone’s way, but no sign of her.

    Forty minutes later, she still hadn’t returned & I was considering getting up out of my deckchair to look for her, when she appeared with shiny blue toenails . Apparently she had had a pedicure & her toenails varnished by one of the little ladies.

    As one might expect, the German bar didn’t have a Happy Hour, so we had a sunset drink instead, before going shopping. We bought our last Hong Thong of this trip & a shed load of crisps & nuts, which wouldn’t surprise me if the purchases pushed us into the realms of excess baggage!!

    We hauled our shopping back to the room, only to discover that the maids hadn’t cleaned our room, instead just left loo roll & water outside our door. I blame the kids!

    I later enquired at reception why our room hadn’t been cleaned & allegedly it was due to sickness, more like pulling a ‘sickie’ so they could go to the Children’s Day. I still blame the kids!!

    After getting ready, we sat on the balcony with a Hong Thong & admired the dire dress sense of our Eastern European neighbours - Ill-fitting vests & shorts. We might’ve donated some clothes to them if they weren’t so glum 🙁.

    We went back to Spicy Spicy, which we now know is officially called Lay Lanta Bar & Restaurant. It turned out to be all about Jackie & her spice - spicy spicy 🥵 🌶. She ordered Mussels & a curry fried rice. The owner got so caught up on how spicy Jackie wanted it, that she forgot to ask me what I wanted. I later ordered chicken curry in coconut sauce. All lovely & bloody spicy. We weren’t allowed to have a pudding, unless we shared, so we decided against it, apparently.

    Song of the Day - Saturday’s Kids by The Jam.
    Read more