Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Day 35 - Crumpets & English Muffins

    January 14, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    From 8.00am, the Chinese were back in our communal bathroom having yet more showers. When the bathroom eventually became free we rushed in locking the communal door & opening our en-suite door. At least we had a bit of privacy for a short while.

    Jackie made a valiant attempt at doing her hair & applying her make up using a 2 inch square mirror.

    Just after 10.00am we took our rucksacks & shoes downstairs. Normally we would have left our shoes outside, but David advised us that the stray dogs may chew them.

    David organised us a taxi & after saying goodbye to everyone, including the Chinese, we off to the Bangkok Airport for our Thai Airways flight home.

    At Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, we treated ourselves to our traditional Double Whopper meal, which must be one of the dearest Burger Kings in the world.

    It was a new Boeing 777 that flew us home from Thailand 🇹🇭. We had the best seats in ‘cattle class’, row 71, which was the 1st 2 seats together behind a row of 3 seats. It gave us much more leg room, which I have to admit was all down to Jackie’a diligence to get them reserved at the first opportunity.
    The Thai crew were generous with their drinks, but the 2 dinners were pretty inedible.

    While Jackie watched movies, I watched Amazon Prime on my IPad & monitored the flight path, which had its potential dangers. Our route took us over Myanmar 🇲🇲 , then Bangladesh 🇧🇩 , northern India 🇮🇳 , with the Himalayas to our right. Next was Pakistan 🇵🇰& straight over the top of Afghanistan 🇦🇫 , just south of Kabul.

    We then avoided Iran, for obvious reasons, by heading north to Turkmenistan 🇹🇲 , then over the Caspian Sea into Azerbaijan 🇦🇿 , Armenia 🇦🇲 & Turkey 🇹🇷. It was then on over the Black Sea for the final leg passing over Romania 🇷🇴, Hungary 🇭🇺, Austria 🇦🇹, Germany 🇩🇪 & Belgium 🇧🇪

    The flight was very comfortable until we started the descent & got buffeted by cross winds from Storm Brenda. It was all a bit rocky & the landing was possibly the most hair-raising I’ve ever experienced. It didn’t help that Jackie was giving a running commentary.

    We got through customs & immigration, then discovered our coach would arrive at 9.00pm, 10 minutes late. Half way home, we stopped on hard shoulder to collect the passengers of another National Express that had broken down.

    At 11.15pm, we were also stopped on the side of the M23. Our coach has developed the same mechanical fault, windscreen wiper issues, as the other one that had broken down.

    Our replacement coach was also held up due to road closures at Gatwick. You couldn’t make it up!

    We got home at 00.15am for crumpets, English muffins & a nice cup of tea, all courtesy of Angela. Thank you.

    Song of the Day - England by Angelic Upstarts.
    Read more