Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day 18 - Unsocial Distancing

    August 21, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Woke up at 5.45am to watch Skinny Minnie’s husband don his full cycle kit & ride off.

    We had tasteless melon and bread & jam for breakfast & then were on the road through the centre of the island to Bol in the south, just 20 miles away. Our destination was Zlatni Rat, better known as Golden Horn beach.

    It is described as “a long pebble beach at Bol town, which extends 500 m elegantly into the sea, is the most famous beach and biggest attraction on the island. The beach is particularly interesting, as it naturally changes the direction of its top, due to the strong sea currents”.

    We arrived around 10.00am & discovered that we would have to pay nearly £10 to park. We considered abandoning it on the road somewhere & walking, but felt the chances of getting towed away were pretty high. Reluctantly we paid to park at the official car park.

    We walked down to the virtually empty Golden Horn & found ourselves a perfect spot to sun ourselves for the day. The beach was spotlessly clean, the sea crystal clear & an armada of boats were moored up at least 50 metres from the shore. Could it get any better? No, but it did get a lot worse.

    Over the next couple of hours, water taxis brought tw*ts ashore from their boats & landlubbers poured in from the car park & god knows where. We did our best to keep people from getting too close with evil stares.

    At lunch, we had an overpriced beer, then returned to our stuff to find that we were literally surrounded & people were way too close. A man nearby started shouting at people arriving who stopped beside him that they were too close & not 2 metres apart. Tempers were getting frayed. It is no wonder that Croatia is seeing a spike in Covid cases!

    We decided that it was just too busy & packed up. The Golden Horn is stunning, but also too popular. We are glad to have visited the Golden Horn, but won’t need to return.

    We drove back through the island of Brac to the northern coast to hunt out a quieter beach. We started with Lovrecina Bay that was sandy but too thin, through the harbour town of Postira, dismissing beaches as we went until we arrived at Splitska.

    Splitska appears to be a very picturesque harbour village, if that is a thing. We then followed the road to a small but pretty beach, which we will give it the benefit of our presence. All for another day.

    We then returned to camp, abandoned the car, got 4 cold cans of beer from the fridge & sat on our relatively quiet beach until 6.00pm.

    The evening was the remainder of the chilli & travel planning.

    Song of the Day : Don’t Stand So Close To Me by The Police.
    Read more