Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 19 & Day 20 - Splitska Beach

    August 23, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Day 19 - We Can Float

    This is going to be short & sweet.

    Woke up early, had Cheerios & tasteless melon for breakfast.

    Cycled to Splitska Beach, a couple of miles along the coast & stayed there all day. It is now our best beach so far on this trip. Splitska beach is a small pebbly beach at the end of an inlet. We arrived around 9.00am & bagged our spot for the day.

    The beach got busy, but not too busy, mainly with locals in the know, however an English family of six did manage to disturb us for a couple of hours.

    The beach has a lovely little bar, where we took refuge for an hour, then we went swimming. The inlet is closed to boats to allow unimpeded swimming. What we discovered was the the water was so salty that we floated on top of the water without even trying. We this new revelation, we swam for a couple of hundred metres to virtually the opening of the inlet. It felt so liberating. We now can see why Croatians seem to get into the sea at every opportunity.

    At 5.00pm, we reluctantly left the beach & returned to our now virtually ghost town campsite. Our cycling neighbours & most other campers had departed.

    We transferred to our car & drove to Tommy Hipermarket for chicken & bread predominantly. We are trying to source gas canisters for our stove, but without success. My brother Jonathan (Millets) did not take into account the length of our culinary exploits when he supplied us with gas.

    Gas less, we returned to the campsite & Jackie made a super fast spaghetti bolagnese sauce with the remainder of our dwindling gas supplies, whilst I sat impotent on the sidelines substituted.

    I had half the spag bol & salad whilst Jackie picked meat from a whole roasted chicken from the rotisserie.

    With a lack of neighbours, Jackie completed our washing & we decorated the trees with our clean clothes.

    Song of the Day - We Float by PJ Harvey

    Day 20 - And Repeat........

    The morning was a repeat of the previous day, but we swam even further out into the inlet entrance. It was over an hour later when we had our feet back on terra firma. We had swum & floated in acres of space.

    I even took my camera out into the inlet for some ‘action’ shots!

    During lunch we booked an apartment on Hvar for the next leg of our journey.

    We sunbathed all afternoon, then returned to the empty campsite. After showers, Jackie washed every last piece of dirty clothing that we had.

    Dinner was the remainder of last nights meal.

    Song of the Day : Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized.
    Read more