Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10 - The Rain in Spain…….

    June 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Three times during the night Jackie re-inflated her airbed which makes a hell of a racket, particularly in the dead of the night. On top of this, my solar fairy lights were on crazy mode, which makes our pitch more like Blackpool Illuminations. Jackie informed me she was not sleeping on the airbed again.

    We finally awoke just before 10am, but to our horror we discovered that it was raining again, contrary to the weather forecast. Fortunately it seemed to be just a passing shower and minutes later we having coffee & a breakfast of artisan bread and jam. Everything was perfect until a black cloud loomed over, then burst. We ran for cover into our tent grabbing what we could as the rain hoofed down to the extent that a river was flowing past the door of our tent.

    I had had enough & with it still raining, I made a rash decision to immediately go & find a camping shop & buy a new airbed. I googled camping stores & ‘Oh god’, the nearest was a Decathlon in Santiago de Compostela an hours drive away & where we had been just the previous day. We bit the bullet & set off in the pouring rain like a couple of feral dogs, without a shower, cleaning our teeth or changing our clothes. Not our proudest moment.

    We stopped in Muros, a small harbour town, a couple of miles from the campsite & visited a hardware shop in the vain hope they might sell air beds. We came out with a small door mat, a back up bottle opener & a cheese grater……… as you do. We then visited a supermarket next door for more provisions. I had the one job of getting Jackie 3 litres of white wine, one bottle cost just 99 cents, so I treated her to others at the exorbitant cost of €1.99 each.

    We then drove the exact route to Santiago de Compostela & to the biggest Decathlon we had ever seen. After much umming & aahing about whether it would fit, we bought a a small double comfort airbed for me, as well as another rain jacket I didn’t really need, another pair of sunglasses and a cap & bikini top for Jackie.

    An hour later having driven through more rain we arrived back at our campsite in glorious sunshine & we vowed to not drive anywhere tomorrow, until we realised that I had bought just 1 bottle of white wine & 2 more bottles of red wine. Doh. In the remainder of the afternoon we faffed about deflating & inflating airbeds, whilst listening to the entire fifth day’s play in 1st Ashes Test that left me deflated at it’s conclusion.

    Jackie cooked up a huge pot of Chilli Con Carne, which we had with salad & bread. Jackie also fed a family of sparrows that multiplied by the minute.

    The evening finished nicely with a small pod of dolphins swimming up & down in the sea in front of us. I didn’t attempt to grab my camera having learnt from my less than successful attempt to photograph pink dolphins in Thailand.

    Song of the Day : Kingdom of Rain by The The.
    Read more