Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Day 36 - Perfect Sunday

    July 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    We woke up at 8.30am to another gloomy grey morning. We had a coffee, showered & Jackie suggested we walk into Lekeitio for a pintxos brunch.

    The 2 mile walk was a breeze as it was mainly downhill, the biggest threat were the hordes of Lycra clad cyclists racing down the hill behind us. We even passed one cocky git cycling up the hill eating snacks with no hands on his handlebars.

    The tide was out so we took the opportunity to totter out with the tons of others on the extremely slippery walkway to the island known as Garraitz (San Nikolas). We climbed approximately 10 steps onto the island, noticed that the waves were crashing over walkway & tottered back as quickly as we could.

    Back at the harbour front of Lekeitio we discovered there was what appeared to be quite a significant political rally taking place by a party called 23 Egingo Dugu. Speeches which were being televised were being made to quite a enthusiastic audience outside the enormous gothic church, officially known as the Basilica Assumption of Santa Maria of Lekeitio.

    We continued on to the harbour front looking for a suitable bar/cafe to stop for refreshments, but they were all too busy. We ended up returning to the gothic Basilica & a cafe/bar in it’s shadow. It was perfect. We had had a couple of beers and a couple of creative Pintxos each. A beer and a Pintxos together cost just the princely sum of €4.

    We probably would have stayed for more but when the political rally ended, we were suddenly inundated with people looking for any available table and chair. And the pintxos were quickly hoovered up. The Spanish don’t seem to bothered by invading other people’s personal space. At one point, I had a child’s leg actually pressed against mine whilst she watched something on her brother’s phone .

    Luckily for us, the sun came out and we walked back to Karraspio Beach. There were no groups of teenagers, just Spaniards and tourists enjoying the afternoon sun. The waves were ideal for surfing & I actually showed everyone how it was done after catching the perfect wave & body surfing almost all the way back to the shore.

    At 3pm local time we started to watch the men’s final at Wimbledon. It seemed incredible that no one else on the beach appeared interested in the tennis. Around 6pm with Carlos Alcaraz 2 sets to 1 up we walked the 1.5 miles up the mountain road back to our campsite. We treated ourselves to a couple of cold beers in the campsite bar, whilst we watched the conclusion to the tennis final on my large iPad. Bizarrely, the the campsite television was showing some sort of wall tennis at the same time.

    Jackie cooked up sausages & salad for our dinner.

    Song of the Day : Perfect Sunday by The Damned.
    Read more