Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 172

    Museum and touching the nile

    October 26, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Today we continued sightseeing ancient Egypt with a trip to the museum. It was very crowded but was quite cool. It was filled with mummies and sarcophaguses and statues, some of which were from as far back as 3000BC! My favourite artefacts were the older sarcophaguses, theyre carved out of big singular slabs of dark rock and don't have much going on in terms of decoration but they're so striking to look at, i definitely understand why rick owens got one to for his home. Other standouts were the statues of the egyptian gods (the hippo one was my favourite, she is the God of the home and parents would ask her to make sure their kids did't get eaten by snakes and crocodiles), Tutankhamen's treasure (his sarcophegus is by far the best preserved, it's so shiny and has jewels and golden carvings all over it), and the massive mummified crocodiles. Once we left the museum we roamed around for a bit and realised that there isn't actually that much to do in cairo so we ended up just going back home. While we were roaming around I managed to touch the nile which was something I came to Egypt wanting to do. Unfortunately it's not very accessible so I had to run through a building site and touch it in a place where there was a bunch of rubbish but it had to be done.

    On our last day we went to a restaurant overlooking the nile for lunch :).

    A few concluding observations about cairo as a city:
    The roads are extremely wide(sometimes 10+ lanes) and busy which makes walking around the city quite a nerve jangling experience.

    The people in general kinda suck (always hassle you and just loiter around in intimidating groups) they actually weren't that bad to me tho because they were all a lot more interested in spencer with his long blonde hair, I found if I just walked 5m behind him I could avoid all the drama ahahah.

    There are no vegetarian options to eat but the food is really really nice (kebab type stuff). One of the restaurants we went to served us a salad with the Salsa dressing in a cup, I think you're supposed to take a bite of your kebab and then take a sip of the dressing so that everything doesn't get all soggy which is pretty clever.
    Read more