Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    The Hills are Alive

    May 8, 2016 in Austria ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Early morning start as we set out for the tour of the Sound of Music film location tour. (I'm a FAN)
    Started off having breakfast at our hotel buffet style overlooking the mountains and nearby hills.
    With time to spear we went next door and hung out at Starbucks while we waited for our van to take us to the bus to start off our tour. By the way....the Barista Esther at Starbucks spoke English pretty well. I asked her where she was from. She is from Salzburg but worked two years in the U.S.A. as a Nanny. Ok, ready to hear where? WOODLAND HILLS, CA!! It's a small world afterall. I gave her one of John's business cards with my info. Hope to hear from her when and if she returns. Young adults 18-23 have a program to be Nannys for families in the states.
    The tour took us back to remembering many parts of the musical along with history of the taping, the actors and sight issues. We were driven to Mondsee where the filming of Maria marrying the Captain took place. The church is beyond BEAUTIFUL! Lakes and mountains BREATHTAKING. It was Sunday so not many places were open for shopping. Restaurants of course along with pastry shops were very much open for business. We learned Salzburg had some snow just a week before we arrived. It's not a wonder why it's so green and there are pretty blooming flowers everywhere.
    We loved being able to drink Sparkling Wine and Beer on board. The sing a long on the bus was fun. The tour guide was very entertaining and very knowledgeable about the movie. The tour was so worth the 4 hours.
    We returned and headed to the Fortress. The view from above was BREATHTAKING. I know I keep saying Salzburg is beautiful, has breathtaking views etc.
    But it "IS"! Reason why I love Salzburg so much.
    We enjoyed having dinner outside the Fortress. Beer, SPAGHETTI and a potatoe salad (potatoes in a green salad along with some sauerkraut). We thought it was pretty good. Took a walk back did some shopping and ended up taking a taxi back to our hotel.
    A beautiful day indeed. I think John has become as fond of Salzburg as I am. Think we WILL be back someday.
    Tomorrow is another early morning start. Our next train ride.....VIENNA BOUND.
    Read more